1/23/12

Wild Squirrel Four Ways

POSTED BY: ERIKA


People always say, “Wow this peanut butter is great… how do you eat it?”


I am always caught off guard when I get this question.  My gut reaction is to say, it’s peanut butter!  It goes with anything.  But then I realize that the majority of people aren’t used to seeing raisins, chocolate, pretzels and coffee beans in their peanut butter.  I quickly realize that I am the abnormal one in the conversation :).


After a year of Wild Squirrel, these flavor combinations seem so normal to me.  But when I put myself in the shoes of a first time Wild Squirrel taster, I realize that if I had been eating plain peanut butter all my life, I would think the idea of coffee+peanut butter is a little crazy too.  


For those of you who are new Wild Squirrel fans or for those who have stuck with us from the beginning (pun intended), I wanted to show you different ways I eat our peanut butter!  Nothing too fancy but maybe you’ll be inspired!


SMOOTHIE!



Even though it’s been pretty chilly and incredibly rainy outside, I still have been craving smoothies.   I love them because they are quick and easy and the fudgey texture of Curious Cocoa-Nut is the perfect addition to a smoothie!


-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use Blue Diamond)


- 1 frozen banana


(I definitely recommend freezing your bananas for smoothies, makes the smoothie thicker…like a milkshake! Just chop one up, put it on a plate and stick in the freezer over night!  Let is thaw a few minutes before throwing it in your blender/food processor or else you will have an unhappy machine.)


-3/4 cup frozen blueberries


-1 tablespoon of Wild Squirrel, any flavor will work!


-1 tablespoon chia seeds 


OATMEAL!



Oatmeal is a great thing-so simple and versatile.  But sometimes it’s a little too simple, boring, dry, etc.  Keeley and I both love oatmeal but like everyone else, we agree it’s pretty uninviting on its own.  We have found that our beloved Sneaky Cinnamon is an incredible compliment to a hot bowl of oatmeal.  In a flash your boring bowl of cholesterol lowering Quaker Oats will soon be transformed into a warm, gooey, healthy cinnamon roll.  I think you know what’s for breakfast tomorrow ;)


-3/4 c of oats


-1 c of water/milk


-1/2 of a banana or any other fruit


-1 T chia seeds


-1 T Sneaky Cinnamon


Apples + Carrots!



It can’t get much simpler than this!  Apples and peanut butter is a classic combo for snack lovers alike but some people are thrown off by the combination of carrots and peanut butter.  I mean let’s be honest here, they are just cold, crunchy vehicles for the delicious peanut butter!  Here is a list of things I eat with pb for a quick snack:


-Apples, carrots, celery, pears, banana, almonds, rice cakes


Energy bars




I’ve been craving cookies lately so I looked up some recipes for no bake cookies/energy bars.  I came up with these yummy bites that included Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed!  I like to use this flavor of Wild Squirrel for baking because sometimes the flavor can be over powering on it’s own.  These were incredibly easy to make and are perfect for a little snack :)


-3/4 c Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed


-1/4 c honey


-3 T water


-1/2 c shredded coconut


-1/2 c raisins


-1/2 c mini dark chocolate chips


Directions:


1. Line 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.


2. Place peanut butter and honey in microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Stir.  Microwave an additional 30 seconds.  Stir until smooth, whisk in 3 T water.


3. Stir in raisins, chocolate chips and shredded coconut.


4. Press evenly in prepared pan.  Chill for at least one hour and then cut into whatever size of bars you desire! 

No comments :

Post a Comment