4/2/12

Muffin Makeover

POSTED BY: ERIKA


There are few things more comforting on a gloomy, rainy afternoon then baking a yummy treat while dancing around to John Legend in your sweats ;)  This afternoon was made even better by Keeley’s sister McKinna, aka my adopted little sister, an equal food enthusiast.  We always have a wonderful time cooking and eating together-today was no different!



Our goal: to create a gluten and dairy free banana muffin recipe using one of our 5 nut butters.  I have made many a baked good with our peanut butters, so I was excited to finally be able to experiment with our two new almond butters: Joyful Java and Chocolate Sun-Sation.


We figured Chocolate Sun-Sation with dark chocolate and sunflower seeds would be the best accompainment to the ingredients we had already chosen to use in the muffins!  So alas, this one stole the show.



Since I cannot tolerate gluten or dairy, I wanted to create a recipe that was free of both of these things.  Not to say that I won’t be creating recipes for those of you lucky ones who can happily consume dairy and gluten, but today I wasn’t in the mood to test my willpower that keeps me from eating glutinous, dairy filled treats!    


I decided my flour base would come from oats.  Depending on the severity of a gluten intolerance, some people may or may not be able to tolerate regular oats because they are processed on the same machinery that wheat is making cross-contamination highly likely.  For this reason I try my best to buy gluten free oats-Bob’s Red Mill sells some at most grocery stores!



You can buy oat flour at the store but if you have a food processor, it’s cheaper and more fun to make your own! Just add 2 cups of oats, blend for 30 seconds and you have yourself some “freshly milled” oat flour!



Here are some of the other ingredients we used!




I wrote this recipe using a few other banana bread/muffin recipes for reference.


Ingredients:


3 very ripe bananas


2 cups raw oats


1/3 cup Chocolate Sun-Sation Almond butter (any nut butter will work)


2 egg whites


1/3 cup almond milk (any alternative milk will work or regular milk)


1/4 cup agave nectar


1 tsp cinnamon


1 tsp pure vanilla extract 


3/4 cup chopped dairy free dark chocolate 


3/4 cup chopped almonds




The result!



Regular size


Whenever you write your own recipe or tweak a combination of recipes as I did, the result is always a surprise.  Luckily, the surprise was a good one!  Kinna and I both agreed that these were the best muffins we may have ever had.  



Mini size!  As requested by Kinna ;) 


One of my many projects at the moment is to develop a variety of recipes, like this one, for our website using each of our nut butters.  My goal is to show their versatility and to spark creativity in all of you chefs out there!  I will be adding more detailed recipe instructions later in case any of you feel inspired to make them!


That’s all for now,


Erika

No comments :

Post a Comment