5/30/12

Wild Wednesday

POSTED BY: ERIKA


Throughout this past year, people have asked Keeley and I how we handle our PR.  We’ve always chuckled to ourselves because the thought of consciously managing our PR seemed so foreign to us.  We have always been too busy making the peanut butter, talking to stores, figuring out how to source bulk ingredients, interacting with customers etc., so publicising our story and products in an official format was not something on our radar.


Most of the publicity we have received has been amazingly serendipitous we like to say.  Simply stated, our story is something people want to share with others, and for that we owe a lot of our success.


All of this changed when we found out that we were going to air on Shark Tank.  After talking with the main producer, he told us that we should prepare to receive a lot of traffic on our website and tons of phone calls and e-mails from the media and inquiries from buyers, retailers you name it!  After talking with other companies who have been on the show, we realized it was in our best interest to start working with a professional PR team.


We were lucky enough to stumble upon Radiance Communications run by the lovely Sunshine! She is this week’s Wild Wednesday feature.  



Sunshine, along with her equally wonderful PR partner Linda, were crucial in helping Keeley and I prepare for Shark Tank and secure many interviews pre and post the air date.  Their enthusiasm and passion is so contagious, and we have enjoyed many coffee “meetings” to discuss new ideas for Wild Squirrel.  The four of us are a dream team!


Tell me a little about your professional background and why you made the decision to start working for yourself?


I started working in the high-tech industry in Seattle during the dot com boom.  It was an exciting time, but also surreal. Soon, I decided that I liked hard cider better than hard drives, so I left the technology scene and moved into food and consumer goods marketing. I love having my own boutique marketing firm.


What are your passions/hobbies/interests?


I love wine, travel and any excuse to travel to Hawaii. I’m still hoping to land a client there so I that can write-off a trip.



Sunshine partaking in one of her favorite hobbies…wine tasting!


What is something that most people don’t know about you?


I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.


Best trip you’ve been on and why?


Hawaii – I love that it’s truly a melting pot. And living in drizzly Oregon, 80 degree weather can’t be beat.


Exciting summer plans?


I have a trip planned to Cannon Beach with my husband and son that I’m looking forward to.



My two favorite guys! (Son Tae and husband Rob)


What’s on the top of your bucket list?


Writing (and selling!) a screenplay that doesn’t involve Vampires, action heroes or the obligatory exploding car.


What is your idea of happiness?


Good food, good friends, good marriage and a darn good retirement plan.


Do you have a life motto? If not, what would yours be if you wrote on?


Pleasantly persistent.  


What can’t you live without?


Cheese.


Favorite flavor of Wild Squirrel and favorite way to eat it?


Cinnamon Raisin. Hands down. Best with bananas, flax seed and almond milk for breakfast. But I would like to experiment with a PB cookie recipe.


Thanks Sunshine for sharing a little bit about yourself!


That’s all for now.  Make today a great day! :-)


Erika 

No comments :

Post a Comment