8/1/12

Wild Wednesday

POSTED BY: ERIKA 


Goooood morning everyone!  I usually don’t get around to posting my Wild Wednesday feature until later in the day, but today the Squirrels are off on an adventure to Washington, so I had to post it bright and early!  We are going to do a sampling tour in many of the new Haggen stores that we are now selling our nut butters in, so stay tuned for trip updates!


Last week I had the opportunity to catch up with a long lost friend from my childhood!  We grew up playing soccer together then she moved in middle school and I hadn’t seen her since!  It’s so crazy how quickly time passes.  We had so much fun reminiscing and catching each other up on the last 7 years of our life!  It was during our reunion that I realized what a wonderful Wednesday she would make…just wait until you hear what a “non-traditional” life she lives!


So this week I am so excited to share with you Montana!



Montana on set!


Even though I haven’t seen her in years, I had a general idea of what she was up to…thanks to Facebook ;-)  Montana is one of Lady Gaga’s back up dancers, how amazing is that!  So as you can imagine, I couldn’t wait to hear how her love of dance got her to where she is today!


1) So obviously you are an AMAZING dancer!! Can you explain your background with dance?


When I was 10 years old, I began taking one little class a week and then by age 12, I started taking it more seriously.  At a young age I got some great breaks in Portland for professional performance opportunities working for Radio Disney and the Blazers, all the while I was training at the best dance studio in town, Dance Vision.


In my later teens I got connected with dance conventions and a couple in particular took me on the road with them and that is where I got the opportunity to work with amazing industry choreographers and grew tremendously. After high school I took the leap, moved to LA and the rest is history! 


2) It takes a lot of courage to go against the “norm” of graduating from high school and then heading right to college.  How did you know that dancing and moving to LA was your calling?


I never doubted that is what I needed to do. There was definitely times it was hard for people to understand the path I was on and a lot of times it was easier to avoid the question…what college are you going to?.  I’d always answer,  ”I don’t know yet,” even though I never applied to a school or intended to. 


3) Can you explain the process you went through to get to where you are now with Lady Gaga? 


From the day I moved to LA I hit the ground running and was auditioning and working as a dancer. Two months after moving, I had a call for the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards and I got it!  My first tour with Lady Gaga started shortly after.


4) What is it like performing on stage in front of thousands of people?  What is the largest crowd you have performed in front of?


Performing is hands down is my favorite part of dance! The adrenaline and energy you get from a crowded stadium is like no other! I just can’t help but enjoy every second. Largest crowd I have been in front of is around 75,000.


5)  Best place that you have seen while being on tour? Why?


I never dreamed I would see the world. I love so many different places for different reasons. All too unique can’t just chose one! 



New Delhi, India


6)  Best and hardest part of your lifestyle?


 Best: the travel Hardest: the travel


7)  What has your experience been like with your fans? Is it weird for you to think that you have fans all over the world?!


I’m so grateful for fans! One of the most inspirational parts of the job.



 Montana with real Harajuku girls in Tokyo, Japan!


8) We both love heath, nutrition, food etc.! We talked a lot about the difficulties of finding good food on the road.  So what are the types of food you crave while traveling? 


A good salad bar, I love fresh veggies!


9) I know the your dancing and traveling are all consuming, but do you have any hobbies? What do you like to do to relax?


I am self proclaimed reality tv junkie!  I stock up my iTunes with shows and zone out.


10) What is your favorite Wild Squirrel flavor and way to eat it?!


Cinnamon Raisin on its own is amazing! I’ve been hooked on almond butter for awhile, but the Cinnamon Raisin PB is addicitvely delicious. 


11) Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 


 I see myself continuing to dance professionally and would love to move into choreography. 




Montana thanks so much for being this week’s Wild Wednesday feature!  It was so fascinating to hear about your life, seeing as it is drastically different then any other person I know!  


The commitment you’ve made to your passion of dance is very inspiring to me and I’m sure to many others!  I wish you the best in all of your upcoming performances, I can’t wait until the tour comes to Portland! :-)


Well, that’s all for now!


Erika

No comments :

Post a Comment