12/21/12

7 Days of Cookies: Day 3

POSTED BY: ERIKA

The past few months I have been really into pumpkin.  Whether in savory dishes or sweet baked goods, I just can't seem to get enough of it!  I love the way it makes soup taste very autumnal and how it gives baked goods an incredible moist texture.

So when Keeley and I were choosing our 7 cookie recipes for the week, I knew that a pumpkin cookie was a must!


Since I can't eat gluten I choose a recipe that called for gluten free flour!  There are many mixes available these days and after plenty of experimenting, I've found that the best mixes are ones that don't contain garbanzo bean flour.  A lot of gluten free baked goods and mixes have this type of flour and I think it makes everything taste awful...it gives gluten free a bad name!  So my suggestion is to read the label and stay away from garbanzo bean flour! 

These cookies turned out just the way I had hoped.  Soft, chewy and full of chocolatey goodness! 

Ingredients
Adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring

2 cups gluten free flour 
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup brown sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 can solid packed pumpkin
1 extra-large egg at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper

In a large bowl place flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar, mix well.  Add the butter, pumpkin, egg and vanilla.

In a separate smaller bowl, add chocolate chips and stir cornstarch until chips are well coated.  Add the chocolate chips and cornstarch to the pumpkin dough mixture.  

Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake about 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly golden brown and the tops are set.  Let cool for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment