12/20/12

7 Days of Holiday Cookies: Day 2

POSTED BY: KEELEY



Just... look at these cookie bars. Look at them. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is.

In fact, looking at these photos, I am beginning to deeply regret giving these bars away. Last night, it sounded like a good idea -- Erika and I had already eaten half the pan, and the only rational thing to do was pile the rest on a plate and bring them to a house full of boys who would eat them for us.

But now, editing these photos, I found myself sort of wishing we'd kept a few. You know.. for breakfast.

This recipe is also (of course) from Smitten Kitchen. I tweaked it a bit -- starting with gluten-free graham crackers and coconut milk to make it gluten/dairy free. I also cut the butterscotch chips in half (they can be too sweet for me) and added double the pecan and coconut instead (yum!).

Now that I know how easy this recipe is to make, I am only a bag of chocolate chips away from making these bars whenever I want. Mix butter and graham cracker crumbs, pour ingredients on top, bake, chill, eat... yeah. It might actually  be a little toooo easy.

Hello Dolly Bars
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 1/12 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 8 graham crackers, pulsed in food processor)
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1.5 cup shredded coconut
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, cut into large pieces

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in microwave or on stovetop until just melted. Add graham cracker crumbs. Mix and then press evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan. 

Layer coconut, pecans, butterscotch and chocolate chips on top of graham cracker base. 

Bake in over for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is light brown. Resist the urge to dig into the gooey pan of deliciousness, and let the pan cool completely before chilling for 1-2 hours. 

Cut into bars and serve (I suggest a eat half/give away half ratio... trust me, it's just better than way).

No comments :

Post a Comment