2/28/13

My First Pie

POSTED BY: KEELEY





I don't think I've ever made a pie. Wait, yes I have... haven't I? I must have made a pie at some point. I mean, I've eaten a lot of pie. Like... a lot of pie. They couldn't all have been made for me. Wait, yeah, I guess they were. Wow... I'm really spoiled.

Well, there's no time like the present -- I'm seizing the day and making my very first pie! In honor of my Dad's birthday, I am making his favorite dessert: pecan pie. My dad's dessert preferences show his Canadian roots (his other favorite? Butter Tarts).

Can't you just picture a 10 year old version of my dad running inside after a day of skating on the frozen pond, to eat a delicious slice of Maple Pecan Pie? Well, actually, you probably can't. You don't know my dad. I guess just... bear with me here.






This is the crust. It's butter, flour, and egg... and it's beautiful.


Whoa, look at this filling. No, it's not corn syrup like the pecan pies you buy at the store... this is 100% maple syrup + brown sugar deliciousness.




















There are lots of pecans on top. And an egg wash for the crust (because we're all about aesthetics here...apparently).



After 40 mins or so in the oven... it's a pie.

When's your birthday? I'll make you a pie. I make pies all the time.

Maple Pecan Pie
Recipe adapted from Chuck Hughes of Cooking Channel fame

Pastry:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, coarsely chopped
Pinch salt
1 egg, chilled
1 tablespoon ice water

Filling:
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cups pecans

Whipped cream, for serving

Directions:

Pastry: In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and a pinch of salt, and pulse until the mixture resembles big breadcrumbs. Whisk the egg and 1 tablespoon ice water in a bowl until combines. With food processor motor running, add the wet mixture to the flour mixture. Process until mixture begins to form large clumps, stopping the machine before the mixture forms a ball. If it needs a big more water, add it. You want the dough to just barely hand together, and not be too wet.

Turn the pastry out onto a work surface, and knead very gently to bring the dough together. Form the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Two is even better.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Using a light dusting of flour on your board and rolling pin, roll out the dough to the desired thickness. Lay the dough into the pie plate, and prick with a fork all over, trim and decorate the edge of the pie as you wish.

Filling: In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, egg, sugar, and cream, and stir well to mix. Transfer the filling mixture to the pastry-lined pie dish. Top with pecans, and bake for about 45-50 minutes, putting foil over the pie should it look like it might burn.

Let cool before serving, and serve with whipped cream.

No comments :

Post a Comment