9/13/13

Happy National Peanut Day!

I'm a big fan of holidays.  I love the excuse to mix up the daily routine and celebrate someone, or in this case, something.  Makes life more interesting!



The holiday we're celebrating today is probably not one that you keep on your calendar...I realize not everyone thinks or dreams about peanuts.  With that said, I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that today is National Peanut Day!  Yes, this is actually real.  It's one of those weird national food holidays that no one knows about... But since we do have a company that revolves around these tasty legumes, it only feels right to honor the day.


I know there are many PB addicts out there, so today is for you!  Use today as an excuse to eat lots of peanut butter.  Maybe eat it in your breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Maybe even as a snack?  Just embrace the deliciousness that is peanut butter and while you are enjoying your PB toast, take a moment and give thanks to those mashed up little nuts for making your life that much tastier.



But if you don't want to overindulge in PB I understand.  Eating too much peanut butter can be painful. Been there before...too many times before.  So for you, I have some food for thought about the glorious peanut.  Information you didn't even know you wanted to know...but now you do!


-While "nut" is in their name, peanuts are in fact legumes.  Peanuts actually grow underground.

-In the U.S. peanut and peanut butter are the most popular nut snack and make up 67% of nut consumption.

-The major peanut producing states are: Georgia, Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia, New Mexico and South Carolina.

-It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter.

-There are enough peanuts in 1 acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.

-Peanut butter is consumed in 90% of American households

-Peanut are the number one snack consumed in the US.

-Peanuts have more protein, niacin and folate than any other nut.

-A serving of peanut butter (2 TBS) has 8 grams of protein.

-Peanut and peanut butter contain over 30 essential phytonutrient.

-Peanuts are naturally cholesterol free.

-The beneficial plant fat in peanuts which is about 81% unsaturated (the "good" fat) can help lower cholesterol levels when it replaces saturated animal fat in the diet.

-Peanut butter contains zero trans fat.

-Women and children prefer creamy PB, while most men choose crunchy.


Thanks to the National Peanut Board for these fun facts!


CONTEST-

Share with us how you are enjoying our peanut butter and you will be entered to win a free jar of any PB flavor!

Leave a comment here on this blog post to enter!  You have until 9/16 at 12am PST.


18 comments :

  1. Did not realize it was National Peanut Butter Day until right after scooping some almond butter on my morning yogurt parfait! Love your peanut butter though, and will most likely be snacking on some baby carrots with your honey pretzel peanut butter (my favorite combination) later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I do anything particularly creative with your peanut butter. It certainly doesn't need much embellishment. However, I do spread a heaping amount on an English muffin each and every morning. I need to have at least three jars of your nut butters around the house so I can switch up the flavors regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished my cinnamon raisin bagel that had Cinnamon Raisin peanut butter spread on it! I've become addicted to all your peanut butters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your peanut butters. Sometimes, I just stick a spoon in the jar and eat it that way. I like it on apples and bananas. It's also good to add to my smoothies. Let me not forget a good old fashioned peanut butter sandwich.

    cereza25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to enjoy my peanut butter straight out of the jar! Or in a PB & Banana Sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I enjoyed my peanut butter on top of my overnight oats with berries! I have nut butter every single day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite snacks is Wild Friends Cinnamon Raisin on toast. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your nut butters on my home made pancakes or oatmeal, or even just straight out of the jar1!!! They are delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mix it into my Greek yogurt for breakfast and add berries and granola.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love peanut butter on good old saltine crackers. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make a gluten free Chocolate Coconut cookie with the Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter!
    Recipe:
    1C Chocolate Coconut PB
    3/4 C Honey
    2 eggwhites
    1tsp Van
    1/2 C Coconut Flour
    1/2 C Coconut Flakes!

    Bake on sprayed cookie sheet @ 350 degrees for about 10 min! Watch cookies as each oven is different! Enjoy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not had the pleasure of trying your nut butters just yet! But I fully intend on purchasing some ASAP! All your recipes look so delicious! I'd LOVE to try them out. I know once I do, there will be no turning back! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely straight from the jar! It's my late night guilty pleasure. This weekend though, I have PB breakfast cookies on my agenda to bake :) With all of the different types of nut butters you two have, I could use the same recipe and have totally different flavored cookies. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to spread the cinnamon raisin on toast or a bagel. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1 heaping scoop of honey pretzel peanut butter
    +
    1 sliced banana
    +
    1/2 cup oats
    +
    1 cup water
    +
    90 seconds in the microwave
    __________________________________________
    breakfast from heaven

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1 heaping scoop of honey pretzel peanut butter + 1 sliced banana + 1/2 cup oats + 1 cup of water + 90 seconds in the microwave = breakfast from heaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! You won our giveaway :-)

      We are so glad that you love our PB!!

      Could you e-mail me at erika@wildfriendsfoods.com?

      Thanks!

      Delete
  17. In a smoothie or in cookies...that's if it makes it. I usually clear the jar before I even get a chance to make anything with it!

    ReplyDelete