10/31/13

A Healthier Halloween


I have always loved Halloween.  Getting to wear a costume to school, having parties in class and eating candy non-stop was my idea of the perfect day as a kid.  Not to mention running from house to house with my friends collecting as much candy as I could fit in my plastic pumpkin.

As I've grown up, my love for this holiday has not changed.  Dressing up is still a definite must as is carving a pumpkin!  However my taste buds have changed.  Although mass produced Halloween candy tastes good and brings back fond memories from my childhood, it's hard for me to enjoy the heavily processed sugar laden treats of my youth.

This year I decided to experiment with making a healthier version of my favorite candy that I so adored as a kid....Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!!

Peanut butter cups were one of the candies that I made sure to get A LOT of when trick-or-treating.  I couldn't get enough of the milk chocolate covered creamy/salty peanut butter goodness.  So good right?!

Well here I have fancied them up a bit.  These still have the chocolatey, peanut buttery goodness that is required in a PB cup, just without the preservatives, white sugar and dairy.  Oh and they obviously have our peanut butter in them, so really, it's a win win kind of situation.



Bottom layer
2 TBS coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup of Wild Friends Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 TBS honey

Top layer
2 TBS coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup Wild Friends Honey Pretzel Peanut Butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Line mini muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners.

Stir all the ingredients for the bottom layer together until smooth.  You may have to microwave the coconut oil and the peanut butter for about 20 seconds until smooth.  Divide this mixture evenly between the 12 liners.  The chocolate should fill about half of the liner.  Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes, or until solid.

While those are in the freezer, mix the ingredients for the top layer just as you did for the bottom.  Again, you may have to microwave the coconut oil and peanut butter until smooth, about 20 seconds.

Once the bottom layer is set, divide the top layer mixture evenly between all of the 12 liners and pour over the chocolate mixture.

Return to the freezer for about 10 minutes to solidify.  Once they are solid, the treats are ready to eat!

Store in the freezer. (If there are any left to store!)

No comments :

Post a Comment